Monday 9 February 2009

Slumdog Millionaire


Okay so here we have it, the first film I saw at the cinema this year and I must say what a phenomenal start this has been to a year of film.

The film tells the story of Jamal (Dev Patel) a former childhood begger from the slums of Mumbai who enters the Indian version of ‘Who wants to be a millionaire’ in the hope of winner the big prize. However after reaching 10 million rupees, Jamal is suspected of cheating and is taken into custody (after all how can a slumdog succeed further on a game show where doctors, scientists and various other professionals fail). He is tortured and forced to tell his life story, this then leads us to a series of flashbacks of how he learn’t this knowledge.

One of the thing that impressed me the most was Danny Boyles’ direction, delivering his finest film since 1996’s Trainspotting (which I loved). He has truly captured a sense of scope making Mumbai feels like a character in its own right and as always has given us characters that we can truly relate to in one way or another. Worth noting is the way the film is beautifully shot with use of panoramic visions and swooping camera angles.

As an audience we can sympathise with Jamal’s quest to be with the one he loves as well as his strained relations with his brother. For me one particular performance that stood out was the game show host (who’s name I don’t know). As opposed to Britain’s Chris Tarrant (who I feel is just a little too family friendly and a little too ITV for my liking), this game show host is far more cheeky making fun of Jamal harsh background. Also worth noting is how snide and conniving he becomes when the cameras stop rolling.

If I was to categorize this film I would describe it as ‘feel good’ cinema, however what’s impressive is how for most of the film we witness very dark and shocking moments (such as people being burn’t alive) yet you still feel a warm glow by the time the credits role.
Overall I feel the ever prominent Danny Boyle has turned out one of the finest underdog rags to riches story I have personally seen. Brilliantly executed and put together. (word of warning: leave the cinema the moment the credits roll or you’ll be ‘treated’ to a bollywood song and dance number).


5 STARS

No comments: